LABORATORY & RESEARCH
116 West 32nd Street
51 JFK Parkway,
100 North 18th Street,
25 Newbridge Road,
300 South Park Road,
LABORATORY & RESEARCH
SUNY DOWNSTATE MEDICAL CENTER
ADVANCED BIOTECHNOLOGY INCUBATOR
K&L Group provided MEP/FP engineering design services for a new 3-story Advanced Biotechnology Incubator with laboratory and office space, teleconference space, a building lobby / reception area, and staff support space.
The Advanced Biotechnology Incubator provides start-up and early-stage companies affordable wet laboratories, office space and medical space. Tenants are also offered access to SUNY Downstate facilities and specialized equipment, research library, students for internships, technician training program, clinical trials, research seminars and a vivarium.
The Advanced Biotechnology Incubator was built in three (3) phases. K&L Group provided MEP/FP design services for Phase I and Phase III and participated as a consultant in the design-build effort for Phase II. The project included the following:
• Mechanical systems included air cooled chiller with heat recovery and free cooling sections, high efficiency condensing boiler, rooftop air handling units with air side heat recovery, constant value supply and exhaust control for laboratories and fan coil units for supplementary heating and cooling
• Plumbing systems included a central vacuum system, natural gas distribution to the laboratories, and acid waste and neutralization system. The building was provided with a full fire protection sprinkler system and an emergency generator for emergency power.
• New high efficiency type condensing boilers
• A 270-ton air-cooled modular chiller plant
• Two (2) new custom-built 20,000 CFM and rooftop air handling units with redundant fans and with a thermal wheel for heat recovery from laboratory general exhaust
• 8 ACH once through ventilation air for labs, with local 4-pipe fan coil units
• New building automation system integrated with the existing system
• New 300 KW generator
Sub-metering for labs
• Expansion of the fire sprinkler and standpipe system
• Expansion of the existing acid waste neutralization system
• Phase III was designed to meet LEED Silver Certification.
Project completed by K&L Group, A Division of MG Engineering