LABORATORY & RESEARCH
116 West 32nd Street
25 Newbridge Road, Suite 309
300 South Park Road, Suite 140
LABORATORY & RESEARCH
NEW YORK SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CENTER (BioBAT Inc.)
The BioBAT Inc. project included the redevelopment of approximately 500,000 SF in Building “A” at Brooklyn Army Terminal as a much-needed hub in NYC for biotechnology research and manufacturing.
Building “A” is largely vacant and is being rehabilitated for use as the New York Science and Technology Center, a facility offering first class research laboratory space to accommodate mature biotech, life science, pharmaceutical, bioinformatic and medical device companies.
The newly renovated facility will be able to provide space for research development and support laboratories, clinical trial management (CROs), workforce development, contract manufacturing, non-profit research organizations and small-scale biologic / chemical manufacturing. Planning for fit-out of Building “A” included a vivarium to be located within the lowest level. The vivarium is readily accessible to the loading dock and away from the primary circulation areas.
Work included various mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection upgrades including:
• New high voltage electrical service.
• HVAC systems included a new penthouse Mechanical Equipment Room (MER), housing a boiler plant and chiller plant.
• The air side of the HVAC system included dedicated outside air units with heat recovery on the roof and local AHU’s on each of the floors in MER’s, two (2) per floor.
• Plumbing systems included a tempered water system for eye wash and emergency showers and a central acid waste neutralization system. The new laboratory facility was required to be fully sprinklered and to have a fire standpipe system.
• A new dedicated multiplexed fire alarm and detection system was provided for the facility.
• BioBAT is designed as a sustainable building and followed LEED guidelines and standards but was not submitted to the USGBC.
• Revit / Building Information Modeling (BIM) was also utilized for the preparation of contract documents.
Project completed by K&L Group, A Division of MG Engineering